PICK YOUR J LEAGUE TEAM

Sunday 4 March 2012

Shimizu's Brosque Shines for Socceroos

Wednesday's World Cup qualifier saw the Socceroos survive a scare against a surprisingly resilient Saudi outfit. Starring for the Aussies was former Sydney-sider Alex Brosque, with two goals and an assist. Brosque's goals coming in the 43rd and 75th minutes.

The Japan based striker/midfielder revealed he was beginning to feel more at home in the Socceroos squad after some regular appearances. On his continued selection by manager Holger Osieck, Brosque said, "At the end of the day, it is about repaying that faith and showing him why he does pick you, and I guess games like tonight make you feel a lot better about being in the squad." While it sounds like Brosque may have had some issues with self belief he needn't have worried. Playing up front for the Socceroos, Brosque used his pace to run onto a  Mark Bresciano through pass and chest the ball away from his closest opponent. From there Brosque held the defender at bay and punted the ball past the keeper. His second goal in the 75th minute was a header of the highest quality, angled past the Saudi keeper making the score 3-2 Australia at that point.

The 28 year old has mentioned his ambitions to be present in Brazil 2014 on more than one occasion, and the form he displayed against Saudi Arabia will provide Holger Osieck with some welcome selection headaches. Brosque recently commented on his time in Japan saying, "I've had to develop eyes in the back of my head and play more quickly." Despite attributing some new found skills and speed of thought Brosque also sounds willing to return to Sydney at the end of the 2012 J-League season stating, ''In my heart, there is no question I'd like to come home. I still see myself as a Sydney player. I love the boys, I watch all their games on the net and I still feel like I'm a part of the club.'' 

1 comment: